You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Please enable scripts and reload this page.
Turn on more accessible mode
Turn off more accessible mode
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Turn off Animations
Turn on Animations
Mission and Community Vision
Assistant Principal Religious Education - Welcome
St Francis Xavier School Prayer
Enhancing Catholic School Identity Project Report
Strengthening Catholic Identity
St Francis Xavier Religious Education Program
Religious Education Program Validated
Religious Life of the School - Line of Sight Document
Learning and Teaching at St Francis Xavier
Learning and Teaching Framework
Vision for Learning
Vision for Religious Education
Health and Physical Education
English as a Second Language
Assessment and Reporting
2009 NAPLAN Results
2010 NAPLAN Results
2011 NAPLAN Results
Kindy at St Francis Xavier Primary School
Catholic Schools Plan for Great Teachers = Great Results
Review of the Australian Curriculum
St Francis Xavier School Child and Youth Risk Management Strategy
Booklists for 2018
School Dental Van
Parents and Friends
Outside School Hours Care
Book Lists 2018
Make an enquiry
Child and Youth Risk Management Strategy
Attendance Policy and Procedures
Enrolment Policy & Procedures
Head Lice Policy
ICLT Acceptable Use
Fee Concession Policy
Mission and Community Vision
In 1892 the Goodna district became a parish and Father Thomas Hayes was appointed as the first Parish Priest. He initiated the construction of a Presbytery and Parish School. The Sisters of Mercy were invited to run the school in response to a request by the Catholics of Goodna. They wanted sisters to teach their children the catechism. As the sisters had to travel daily from Ipswich, a convent was built for them in Goodna. The school was dedicated to St Patrick and regular classes began in 1910.
In 1924 Fr Thomas Keating was appointed to Goodna as Parish Priest. Soon after his arrival, the name of the church was changed to St Francis Xavier. The Sisters of Mercy were committed to the education of children of Goodna through the years of the depression, the war years and the post war immigration era. During this time many students were from the Wacol Migrant Centre. As a result the school developed a reputation for providing excellent education for students from a diversity of ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
The first Principal to be appointed following the withdrawal of the Sisters of Mercy, was Mr Jim Toohey. During the life of the school many physical changes have taken place with new buildings and facilities being added to meet the changing needs of students. The original building was replaced in 1987.
The present Principal, Mrs Veronica Lawson and Parish Priest, Fr Roger Burns, have continued the tradition of providing modern learning and teaching facilities vital in the current educational system. A preschool was opened in 2002. An extension to this building was completed in 2006. Preparatory Year commenced in 2007. In 2009 the Clarke Wing was completed which included Adminitstration offices and an additional four classrooms. The Illidge Wing was completed in 2010 which now houses our year one classes and a prep class. Under the Building the Educational Revolution Project McAuley Hall and tuckshop facilities were completed in 2011.
The school has continued with its proud tradition of providing quality education to children in the parish from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. Today the parish embraces the suburbs of Goodna, Gailes, Wacol, Bellbird Park, Redbank, Redbank Plains, Carole Park, Camira and Collingwood Park. The school has an enrolment of 518 children. The traditions, hopes and dreams of the original Catholics of the Goodna district inspire the present day school community to continue the faith education of the children in this area.